From:
"Walter R. Worth" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 09:34:22 -0800
On Saturday, February 19, 2000 8:50 AM, "Tracy L. Bloom" <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> I am having trouble with lost chains and therefor the computer hangs up
quite frequently.  This problem seems to be random at best, I spoke briefly
with a friend who thought it might be the communication between the HD and
the Mother Board via the controller <snipped to avoid excessive quoting) Is
there any new drivers I need to install for better communication?  Do I have
other problems?  Your help is appreciated !

I suggest that you do the following, run ScanDisk to see if there are
problems with your hard drive and if that "cleans" up the lost chain files,
then run "Defrag". Used in this combination, it should get rid of the
cross-linked/lost chain files. If you have Norton Utilities, run either
NDD.EXE or WINDOCTOR.

Download and install RegClean 4.1a from either http://shareware.com or M$
web site.  The previous URL will take you there indirectly <g>. Run this
utility and it cleans up "most" but not "all" of the residual left in the
registry. (ScanReg /restore allows you to pick a "known" good registry).
Reboot your PC and see if that helps things. Go to
Start|Programs|Accessories|System Tools|System Information|Tools tab|SFC.EXE
or Start|Run|type C:\Windows\System\SFC.EXE. This will check your system
files for corruption and if files are damaged, it will prompt you to restore
them from the Windows 98 CD-ROM. Lastly, either use the Windows Update
feature under the "help" menu in IE4/5.x  (5.5 is beta and will not let you
d/l updates) or visit your vendors web site for up-to-date drivers if
applicable. These two URL's, http://www.drivershq.com/ and
http://www.driverzone.com/ are known to have hard to find device drivers.
HTH. :-)

Walter R. Worth