From:
Russell Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 23:08:57 -0600
"Ian C." wrote:
> Fdisk tells me that
> there are 2 partitions with logical drives assigned to extended partition.
> However, when I try to view/delete these drives, fdisk then reports no
> logical drives defined.  Okay, so I try to delete the extended partition;
> but I can't because there are logical drives defined, so I try to
> view/delete these logical drives.......well I hope you get the picture.
> Does anyone has a clue as to what caused this and how it can be fixed?

   Yes...I know exactly what caused it. They were NT partitions and
FDISK will never be able to see them until you wipe them with a utility.
PM will work and Microsoft has a free utility only found in the NT 3.51
Resource Kit that will delete those partitions. It's called DELPART.EXE
and it's a very small file. The whole NT kit (which contains that
utility) is a big download at
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/winnt/winnt-public/reskit/nt31/i386/
You can probably find it elsewhere on the net or write me and I'll
attach a copy.

  I keep it on my technology CD since it is such a useful file for
killing those pesky NT partitions which FDISK doesn't see. Basically I
just place delpart.exe on a boot floppy, run delpart from a DOS prompt
and erase the partitions. Then I reboot and use FDISK to create the new
partitions.

  I ran into this personally last summer while giving workshops and I
guarantee that is what you have encountered.

Later,

Russell Smith
Edtech Consultant, Journalist
Region 14 ESC Abilene