From:
Jan Lambert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2000 09:17:51 -0800
In <000901bf70eb$237ec800$0100a8c0@HAL2>, on 02/06/00
   at 04:42 PM, Ben Moore <[log in to unmask]> said:

>I've had a strange thing happen twice now to my machine, once
>about a week ago, the second time today. All of a sudden I'll get
>a lot of static from the speakers.  The only way to stop this is
>to reboot.  When I reboot, I have no drives on my secondary IDE
>controller which controls my CD and Zip drives.  Auto detect
>shows both as "none" on the bios boot screen.  More investigation
>shows that the drives are not powered at all.  No lights on
>either the zip or CD. Neither will eject.   If I shut down, wait
>at least 60 seconds and then reboot the drives come back and all
>is well.  My system is:

>PIII 450 Win98 SE
>Tnt2 Ultra
>Audio PCI sound
>192 MB RAM
>13.5 GB IBM
>8.6 Gb Maxtor
>CD
>Zip
>Netgear NIC

>I've been running this configuration for nearly a year. This is a
>250 Watt power supply and should be able to handle what I have
>installed.  I've never had a power supply fail.  Is this an early
>symptom of future problems? Thanks.

>Ben Moore

Hi Ben:
I don't have experience with ATX supplies, but i've seen a lot of
AT units buy the farm. My first test on your problem would be a
check for dust bunnies clogging things up or a dead fan. If not
those, then a supply swap would be the next step. There is also
the possibility of the motherboard heat sensor (if you have one)
getting funky.

good hunting,
jan lambert

:Windows: Where do you want to go today?
:Linux:   Where do you want to go tomorrow?
:FreeBSD: Are you guys coming or what?
:Warp_4:  We're already there :)
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>