Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 23:29:01 -0500
"Dr. James Alpigini" wrote:

> Cave People,
>
> It is a rather odd, but I seem to be putting on weight, and it is not
> muscle.  I am at a bodyfat percentage > 25% so it is not that my body needs
> the extra fat - quite the opposite.
>
> I am eating 4 or 5 times per day, mostly greens (lettuce, spinach, green
> beans, broccoli, broccoli rabe), meat (beef, pork, chicken, salmon), eggs,
> olive oil, flax oil, pork rinds and some nuts.  I have to be careful of the
> nuts.  I rarely ate them before and I've learned that more than an ounce or
> two at a time gives me a belly ache.  I've gone very light on carrots,
> perhaps two this week.  Early in the week I had a small batch of pemmican,
> but I haven't had any since Tuesday.  Fruit wise, I've had 1 orange, 10
> dates and 2 TBS of honey this week.
>
> I'm drinking 2 - 4 liters of water per day.
>
> I estimate that my protein has been about 240 grams per day, but I have not
> been tracking the carbs/fat/pro/calories.
>
> Using ketosticks, I see that I am not dropping into ketosis.
>
> I have not been able to give up my coffee (black, no sugar) in the morning.
>  (Flesh is weak and all that)
>
> And the complication: I have Kalman's syndrome, which is an obscure
> pituitary condition.  The end result is that my body does not make
> testosterone, which is supplied via patches and injections.  Lord knows
> what that does to a metabolism.  On the metabolism end, it may be broken
> due to previous yo-yo, high carb, low protein, low fat dieting - directed
> by a registered dietician to combat cholesterol.
>
> I have a database which I can use to track my food exactly.  I could crank
> in whatever I eat and trim it down to say 1800 calories per day, but I had
> hoped to avoid the hassle.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> James at Penn State

Usual legal disclaimer: this is not an advice, I am not a doctor, do anything at your own risk.

I feel a little bit like Dogbert - "we need more context here".
Can you please tell us how tall you are, how old, what kind of physical activity
you engage in and how much.

That aside, your diet seems to be fairly low in fat. Eggs, oils, pork rinds and
nuts are the only foods you listed with fat being the main calorie contributor,
and it doesn't look like they are your staples. Since you aren't appearing to
starve yourself (just an assumption here - your caloric intake is above 1800),
you are eating plenty of carbs/protein. The very first suggestion that many would
make here is try lowering your carbs (assuming you don't have a medical counter
indication), lower your protein to what is appropriate to your size/activity,
(probably in the range of 100-150gm/day) and make up the balance with calories
from fat.  Basically try doing low carb version of paleo. Oh, and don't try to
lower your calories before you lower your carbs. That will likely just lower your
metabolism.

Ilya