Date:
Sun, 12 Dec 1999 00:17:46 -0800
>Does anyone have the phone number, or remember the name, of the meat store
>in Tacoma Wash that sells uncured bacon, which has no nitrates and no
>spices, it is absolutely gluten free and nitrite free etc?
>
>I think it is/was called The Natural Meat Shop.  You can call the Puget
>Consumer's Co-op main office for the name and number (206) 547-1222.  The
>buyer their might also know of brands of nitrite free bacon. We've gotten
>some from health food stores.  I think Applegate Farms is one of the brands.

In W. Washington USA, the PCC chain carries the Hempler's (out of
Bellingham, WA) brand of uncured bacon. The local Thriftway super
also carries Hempler's bacon, but not the uncured (despite my
asking the meat buyer on three occasions). I once bought a package
of the nitrate-cured by mistake, realizing only when I chewed on the
horrible salty, chemical-tasking bacon that I'd better read the
label again.