Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 00:03:39 -0500
jeane-claude,

> >"spinning out from our center"?? What does that really mean?

> i meant the exponential  attempt of human to remove themselves from their
> source, from the natural environment that sustain them .

Oh come on. This is the kind of romantic idealism to which Kirt and I were
referring a couple of weeks back.

If humans really "attempt to remove themselves from their source, from the
natural environment that sustains them" then it because our natural
environment is very cold and wet and uncomfortable and dangerous and because
we humans are smart enough to do something about it.

We humans are an intelligent species. Because of our intelligence we were
able to learn how to construct comfortable homes with heating systems and
air-conditioning systems, and to construct and maintain the cities and
factories and companies and governments that help us all to secure and
protect these creature comforts. I think we do these things not because we
are in some sense lost or off-center as you suggest, but rather because we
humans are a lot smarter than the dumb animals who sit in the cold and
freeze their butts off while hoping they don't get eaten by predators.
Surely if those animals had any brains then they would follow our example.
:)

Domesticated cats and dogs are probably among the smartest of animals.
Would you claim that they too are attempting to "remove themselves from
their source"? Or are they just very smart animals who know better than to
refuse the luxury of riding along in life with the most advanced species on
earth?

> while you were busy questionning my way of talking you forgot to answer
the
> points of my previous post.

Yes I realize that, and I'm sorry, but sometimes I think it is better to
address the most fundamental differences because nothing else will make
sense without first doing so.

I suppose what disturbs me most is that you seem to have a low opinion of
the amazing accomplishments of your own species. In my view humans are
incredible, marvelous, almost miraculous creatures. As evidence I submit the
momentous achievements of our species as we emerged from the animal kingdom
almost to transcend it. I submit as evidence these awesome thinking speaking
singing loving writing calculating worshipping painting composing flying
dancing space-travelling god-like beings that we are today. You see this
evidence but rather than celebrate your humanity you choose instead to
complain of problems and bemoan our fate.

-gts