From:
ardeith l carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 07:58:00 -0500
On Tue, 14 Mar 2000 10:51:08 -0500 Karen Hodgen
<[log in to unmask]> writes:
> Secondly, I am interested in how the diet will affect my periods!
> Last April, I had a D&C due to prolonged bleeding (I basically had a
four
> month period) due to fibroids.  I am 44 y/o.  Since the D&C, my periods

> are now only 5 days, but my flow is quite heavy.  This month, my period
is
> weird. I am not flowing as heavy and my period seems to be almost over.

> Could this just be an aberration or could it be the diet is changing my

> periods, or could it be the perimenopausal state where anything can
happen?

Ardeith writes:
At your age, you are probably menopausal, not peri-menopausal....
and you can expect your periods to be quite erratic......long or
short or absent, heavy or light or normal, cramps or no cramps....
things will not be "normal" for quite a while.   The only way to
know for certain that you are in fact into The Change is to have
your doctor check your hormonal levels...........I've done work-
shops about The Change at Pagan gatherings....if you'd like
to see what I've found in my research of this phase of a
woman's life, I'll send it off-list directly to you......I doubt the
guys on the list want to read about it, tho' they should!
After all, some 35 million women are going to go through
The Change over the next 20 years........the guys ought
to be interested in what life is gonna be like if they are
associated with menopausal women..........................

Karen wrote:
> My gynecologists recommends a hysterectomy for me, if my uterus won't
> behave, and I would much prefer to keep it.  Could this diet help my
> periods?

Ardeith writes:
Of course your Gyn recommends surgery.....that's how
they are trained......surgery or artificial hormones is all
they know...........I have a friend who had problems with
flooding and used Shepherd's Purse to control it....she
also had fibroids......and says regular use of the herb
keeps her flows reasonable.........also Vitex, or Chaste
berry was used for many generations to regulate
your natural hormone balances, lessen the impact
of menopausal side-effects, reduce fibroids, relieve
cramps, eliminate flooding, .........Vitex is slow-acting
.....has to be used over several months to show
its effects.........but I found it to be preferable to
taking estrogen made from mare's urine! And I'm
fortunate in that this bush grows all around our
little acre here in Florida.......Vitex is a European
transplant to N. America......but it is a great
Women's Herb.................

As to whether this diet will help with your periods.....
I dunno......but being in the best state of health
you can will definitely help you deal with your
Change of Life.......and if eating Paleo improves
your health, it should improve things where your
menstrual cycle is concerned too..........

Karen wrote:
> Also, we read with interest someone's posting of being paleo and
> being dyslexic.  Our ten y/o son is dyslexic.  Both our children are
for
> the most part paleo with laxes here and there.  However, our son is the
most
> paleo and it is amazing how much calmer and mature he seems to be.  He
is
> no longer hyper and is more mellow.

Ardeith writes:
I wish I had know about the Paleo diet when I was raising
my children......it was easy to fill up four hungry kids, and
one husband, using pasta and rice and potato dishes......
and cheaper than trying to fill those "black holes" with
meat, veggies,etc.................several years ago, my grandson
and my middle daughter lived with me for a year or so......
the boy didn't eat pasta, he inhaled it!   And that was just
about all he wanted to eat!  It was so easy to stuff himself
on spaghetti or macaroni and cheese......it didn't require
much chewing.....he just sort of let it slide down........
and of course, he gobbled all the junk food he could
persuade his mom to buy.   Needless to say, he was
out of control......a monster to live with.......and after
they moved to Maryland, the doctors put him on
Ritalin......which made him appear to be a human being
after all.    Then my daughter got hold of an article
about all the preservatives and sugars in the food
my grandson was eating, and she did a turn-around....
fresh fruit, veggies, meat, cheese.....very little
grain, potatoes, bread, etc..............of course, his
doctors don't want to take him off the Ritalin,
but my daughter says that he can skip several
days of medication and still remain a human
being instead of reverting to the monster he
used to be.........she wants to get him completely
off the medication, but is a little afraid of going
against doctor's advice...........her second son,
who is three now, is fed a much healthier diet....
.........and she is still nursing him two or three
times a day.........so I'll have a chance to actually
see if these things make a difference in the two

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.