From:
Micki Fraser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 15:33:04 MST
Eating paleolithically can free women in very specific ways. In spite of the
so called women’s liberation movement of the sixties, we are now having to
endure some serious backlashes in culture and general attitude, at least here
in the United States. Years ago I read the book Fat is a Feminist Issue. I am
finding it all the more relevent today. In the book, for those who may have
not read it, the author writes about how society views the way women eat. To
eat with a hearty appetite and enjoy food, was then, and seems to be now,
anathema. I was conversing with my dear partner this morning and the subject
came up that the majority of my female friends are either casually or
seriously practicing eating disorders, and they’re doing it totally
unconciously.  I recall several years ago one of my friends actually admitting
that she didn’t have a good relationship with food. The other of my friends
are either always dieting, or virtually starving themselves to bannish the
possible stigma of being social outcasts. I have never understood the idea of
food as an “enemy.” I have always liked to eat, and when I was younger I was
athletic enough to keep obesity at bay. I have understood the stigma of being
“fat.” I have long years ago since learned that food is not the enemy; that
“fat” people are not gluttons or lazy or lacking character. The enemy is
IGNORANCE, and it’s cure is KNOWLEDGE which is true power to change things so
radically. We women have the added hormonal sensitivity that fluctuates every
month. Estrogen/Progesterone imbalance and Insulin resistence go hand in hand.
I have been gleefully watching my weight go down and down and down these last
6 weeks with no effort, no extra exercising. I’ve been doing morning yoga
stretches and evening walks for years and haven’t changed the routine one
iota. My female friends are all carbo loading and running screaming from fat
and protein, then having to starve themselves and feel guilty for wanting more
carbs, victims of the vicious carbo addiction cycle. And it is truly vicious.
For the status quo to keep women in the dark about what’s REALLY good for them
is mysogynistic. Men don’t escape either. No doubt, I am convinced that the
hormonal imbalances due to poor diet and pollution that young men endure at
puberty has a lot to do with such tragedies as the Columbine shootings. Here
is another example of how paleo eating style can have a ripple effect.
When I have been overweight I have refused to be pushed into a stereotype. I
refuse to be pushed even now. But then I don’t just throw my weight around.
:)