From:
Bill Dooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 20:10:03 -0800
> If it is true,  as paleo eaters concerned by "foreign proteins" .we are
> faced with an open door to "nobody knows what".

One criticism of standard vaccines is that they are often cultured in
egg albumin, horse serum, or some other material that may cause abnormal
immune responses when injected into the body, bypassing the digestive
tract. It may just possibly be that vaccines built into vegetables will
be more safe than the current types.

Such things should be approached with great caution, but it is possible,
at least in principle and with careful testing, to make rational
cost/benefit assessments. A staple food with antimalarial properties
could be of enormous benefit to many regions, some of which are
returning to the limited use of DDT for lack of any feasible
alternative.

     http://www.bday.co.za/00/0207/news/n17.htm

The hundreds of millions who contract malaria each year, and the
millions who die, might well trade a few terminal years for freedom from
the disease in the earlier decades of life.

     http://www.junkscience.com/ddtfaq.htm

Viruses and bacteria may be life's little messengers, but malaria is a
message I myself would rather not receive. Whooping cough in infancy (my
mother thought I was going to die), chicken pox, measles, and flu, not
to mention assorted bouts of food poisoning and countless colds, have
already told me more than I want to hear from Mother Nature's smallest
creatures.

Bill Dooley

PS - since going paleo (mostly -- I still have a couple of cups of
coffee a day and an occasional bunless cheeseburger), it's been two
years since I had a cold. A couple of months ago, I got sniffles and
weeping eyes one night, but the symptoms were gone the next morning. Not
proof of anything, but encouraging, nonetheless. OTOH, my new attention
to frequent handwashing and liberal use of isopropyl alcohol spray may
have made a difference.