From:
jlpresto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2000 08:17:12 +0900
Q: Are there any calcium supplements made from animal bones?
A: Bone meal

I've heard the best are from Schiff and KAL.  As a young woman in a family
of broken hips and backs and tailbones, I take the info around calicim very
seriously.  Personally I think that calcium supplements have the OPPOSITE of
the intended effect.  Take the supp, it just circulates in the blood.  There
is no evidence that it ever gets used by the bones.  In fact, the high
circulating levels send a message to the parathyroids that you have too much
Calcium.  So leech some out of your bones.  Even when you do take the C or
Mg or D or whatever vitamin they are telling you to take, phosphorous or
whatever, with it, I think it is all the same non-available supp.

In the above way, I think they actually contribute to osteo.

On a more paleo note, when I got the bone meal it was for my cats (they are
my food lab, now I use ground bones.) I was very concerned about MAD COW'S
DISEASE.  What do listers think or know about MCD?  Being paleo, I suppose
people really looked hard at that one?

Judith