Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 26 Feb 2000 10:44:57 -0500
7bit
From:
Nick Torraca <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Steve,
I don't know what causes these files to appear, but I have them also on my
Gateway portable running 98 SE. They appear to be harmless and I delete
hundreds of them about once a month. I thought they were from improper
shutdowns, but after I deleted them, it was easy to see that two of them
appear after each boot, not at shutdown. I spent a good amount of time using
the system configuration utility to remove items from the start-up.
Unfortunately, I threw out my notes of what I found. I do remember some info
though. It was not any of my installed applications, like antivirus or other
utilities that run on startup. It came down to the last to items. I remember
that they appeared to be windows components or at least something I did not
recognize. It needed both files to be running to cause the files to appear.
Sorry I can't remember which two, I spent a lot of time tracking it down
only to find that it was caused by something that I better not remove. So
once a month when I clean things up, I delete all of those files
o.   -Nick

> I sent this last week to PCSoft and received no replies.
> So I'm trying again here.
>
> I'm running Win98SE  and have noticed that upon each
> bootup,  the system puts 2   .TMP files into the C:\Windows
> folder.  Right now, I have 160 of these files, and each one
> is zero bytes in size.    They have names like this:
>
> fffc744b_{49759660-BED9-11D3-8B52-CD7FAA707135}.tmp
> fffc744b_{49759661-BED9-11D3-8B52-CD7FAA707135}.tmp
>
> They look like something that might be found in the Registry.
>
> Questions:  What are they?  Why are they in the Windows
> folder? Are they safe to delete?  How do I prevent this from
> happening in the future?  Etc.
>
> System Particulars:
> PIII 450 MHz,  Intel 440BX AGPset
> ASUS P3B-F Mobo