BLIND-DEV Archives

Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI

BLIND-DEV@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

"BLIND-DEV: Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Kelly Ford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 May 1999 05:19:14 -0700
While I agree that adding a speech chip to something like this might make
the shopping experience more accessible to people who are blind, true
independence isn't going to be as easy as slapping in a speech chip in my
opinion.  Even if one knows the general layout of a store, how long do you
imagine it would take to sort out the 22-ounce box of Rasin Brand you are
seeking from the hundreds of other items in just the cereal isle?  Multiply
that time by even 15 basic products and you'll quickly see that the time it
would take to shop in this fashion would grow to hours on end.

At 01:29 AM 5/19/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Sorry friends, this is not a sales pitch nor a spam.
>
>Symbol Technologies, Inc  <http://www.symbol.com/ST000270.HTM> (Home
Office One