From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Sep 1999 16:13:17 -0400
Shawn,

First of all, cat 5 speaks more to the electrical characteristics than to
the physical components.  Cat 5 cable is available with various types of
outer jacket, such as plenum, pvc, hdpe, etc.  If you use the correct
"outside plant" type cable (like the phone company uses) then there probably
won't be a need for any creative solutions .  Your electrical supply
house/cable supplier can help you select the proper buried cable product.

HOWEVER, in your case, because of the environment, I would strongly
recommend fiber optic rather than copper cable.  #1 There will be some type
of electro-magnetic field
     generated by the heating strip wound around the water pipes.
#2 It is virtually impossible to keep water out (ask any industrial
     electrician with food plant experience -- where the equipment
     is subjected to frequent "baths".)

Jim Meagher
=====
Micro Solutions Consulting        Member of The HTML Writers Guild
http://www.ezy.net/~microsol     International Webmasters Association
410-543-8996                MS Site Builder Network - Level 2 member
=====