From:
"Wade H. Reeser" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 10:10:21 -0500
At 11:26 AM 11/3/1999 +0100, you wrote:
>I wrote:
>> > Or what would you tell Mr. Einstein, with a tremendous I.Q. and
>> > a rather small brain.
>> > Or what would you say that women, which have average measurable
>> > smaller brains, have a smaller I.Q.? I don't think so.
>
>Ben Balzer wrote:
>>BUT IN A GIVEN INDIVIDUAL an increase in adult brain size would be
>>expeted  to have a positive effect on IQ.
>But how would you want to increase the brain size of a given
>
>individual?
>Brain size is limited by the size of the skull.
>And more important: the count of the neurons is growing only in the
>first 3 months after birth - after that neurons are decreasing....
>So nutrition could only influence effective brain growth up to the
>age of 3 months.

Come on Amadeus!  I'm sure even you can see that the brain of an adult
is MUCH larger than that of a 3 month old regardless of it having the
full complement of neurons.  Perhaps its all water weight...  In any
event, nutrition is found to play a critical role in brain development
and intelligence for the growing child.

  Wade Reeser