From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 16:05:21 -0800
Jean Claude:

> removing the overload of toxins out of the daily
> metabolism by storing in
> fat cells  is a clear advantage  to maintain the
> functioning of the body
> despite an unatural diet.

> so it makes sens to me that a less toxic diet will
> permit to loose weight.

Interesting thoughts Jean Claude. Are you aware of any
research in this area?

Todd:

> Personally, I find
> that most fresh fruit is quite self-limiting.  For
> example, an
> apple is about 80 calories.  Although some people
> don't like to
> use fruit when they are trying to lose weight,
> because it kicks
> them out of ketosis, I find that I *never* want a
> second apple,
> and a single one blunts my appetite for some time.
> On the other
> hand 80 calories' worth of, say, walnuts is nothing.
>  For a
> snack, I can easily eat a half cup, which is about
> 400 calories.
> So if I'm in need of a snack, the apple is really a
> better choice
> for me.  The problem, of course, is that I would
> rather eat the
> walnuts, or the leftover chicken wings, or the other
> nice fatty
> foods that are kicking around from paleo meals.

Funny, I have quite the opposite problem. I can easily
eat more than one apple (or pear, or banana, or any
other fruit or berry I like). In fact, fruit is only
self-limiting to me in the sense that I get digestive
distress if I overindulge. On the other hand, I can
take or leave most meat - even the "good" stuff you
mention. Just goes to show, we are all different in
some respect, even though we share a similar paleo
ancestry.

As far as carb/fat/protein ratios go, I seem to do
best on a 33% split of each, a concept I picked up
from a couple of weightlifting writers (I can't
remember who right now). It's a little easier to track
than the Zone.

http://im.yahoo.com