C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Trisha Cummings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 11:21:34 -0500
Hi Guys,

           Well, I don't usually post this kind of stuff but I have seen it now on two seperate lists- the first has nothing to do with Handicapped folks - maybe some of our more vocal ( Betty!!) members would like to drop a line on this - first is the e-mail I got from a friends - second is what was posted on another list - a news article.

                                        Blessed Be
                           Trisha
Subject: [50love] [pdbitch] a posterior excavation speaks]

I don't normally post things like this, but this really just found the right buttons to push and has me rather hot under the collar. I am going to write a letter to the dean with rather strong sentiments expressed.

Are any of you aware of a posting to the bulletin board (computer) at Cal. State University, Monterey, by an employee graduate  named Jody Dunkel? This young man in his post asked for nondisabled individuals to physically attack and assault disabled individuals as well as destroy mobility equipment used by diasbled persons. He later said that this posting was an example of "extreme" humor and was meant as a joke, and then offered a half-assed apology which was smug and arrogant. Had this "joke" been directed at a racial or ethnic group I doubt very seriously if Dunkel would still have his job. If anyone would like the  email address of the dean it is [log in to unmask]  let him know that smacking Dunkel on the wrist and saying 'bad boy' just isnt going to cut it. He offered a copy of the original letter as well as what he called his
apology at  www.geocities.com/ihatecripples
Judy

Friday January 21 7:59 PM ET

Man Writes Anti-Handicapped E-mail

MONTEREY, Calif. (AP) - A California State University employee is in
trouble with the university for posting a computer message urging opponents of handicapped parking to do ``something nasty'' to people who use wheelchairs.

``If anybody wants to start up an anti-handicapped parking coalition let me know,'' Jody Dunkel wrote in a message posted on a university bulletin board Jan. 6. ``You vow to yourself that the next cripple in a wheelchair you see you're going to do something nasty and annoying to them.''

Dunkel, 22, said Friday that the message wasn't meant to be taken seriously.``I wrote it to be controversial and stir things up,'' he said. ``It was extreme humor.''

He said a disabled person who was offended by the message sent it to
university officials.

Dunkel has worked as a Web page designer at the school's Monterey Bay campus since he graduated last spring.

University President Peter Smith would not say how Dunkel was being
disciplined, citing employee confidentiality.

Dunkel also wouldn't say what his punishment was, but he said he still
works at the university.

The message frightened some of the university's 100 disabled students.

``It may be a joke, but subtle things like that hurt just as much as overt
statements,'' said Greg Lukas, 52, who uses a wheelchair.