BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mary Krugman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Preservationists shouldn't be neat freaks." -- Mary D
Date:
Sun, 18 Jun 2000 18:01:04 EDT
In a message dated 6/18/2000 2:36:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> I don't think my other reply to you is going to work, so I am sending this
>  to you directly, Mary.
>
>  I have worked with handheld scanners, flatbed scanners, etc.
>
>  I don't think that you will be too happy with the results of any hand-helds
>  that I have used. The reason why is that they are very hard to control. The
>  larger your scanned image is, the harder it is to get 2 or more "ribbons"
of
>  scanned images to match. They have to be "stitched" together, and if you so
>  much as jiggle or go crooked, the stitching doesn't work. Even the speed
has
>  to be the same, as too fast or too slow could cause stretched areas. I am
>  not familiar with the HP, but unless it is radically different from the
ones
>  that I have used, you would be far better off to invest in a copy stand
with
>  lights and a good camera.
>
>  I can't think of ANY scanning method that would take care of fragile
>  documents, either. The hand helds require "rolling" over the document, and
>  unless you had a sheet of non-reflective glass or plastic, this may be
>  damaging to the original.
>
>  My 2 cents...
>
>  Debbie

Debbie:

Thanks for the insights. I do use a copy stand and have a great camera, but
even this method has not been satisfactory with some maps -- especially ones
that have darkened with age, or are hanging up on the wall somewhere in some
local library. These last are usually covered a with plastic sleeve or
overlay of some kind, which reflects a lot of  the light that is usually
bouncing around the room. Reflections are also the problem with some maps
that have been conserved in rather shiny archival sleeves and bound in
volumes. The repositories do not allow for the removal of the volume to
another room, and overhead lights and uncovered windows are everywhere (not
good policy for document conservation, but there you are). Because their
surfaces are protected, I thought maybe a handheld scanner would provide a
better solution.

If you have any other suggestions or experiences with this problem, I would
love to hear about them.

Mary