BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 16:42:46 EDT
I agree on the wearability of granite by wagon wheels being an improvement
over bluestone.

I've moved plenty of sidewalk stones already that I know I don't want to do
it no more. I've never found a vault spanning granite in Manhattan over 8" in
thickness, quite often at 6" thickness. Ivan's 16" to 20" seems a bit thick
to me, but then, Ivan gets to explore some nifty places, despite his request
to avoid BP.

Bluestone, a sandstone, is in several respects easier to quarry than granite:
laminar sedimentary stone lifts in sheets from the bed, and is less expensive
as a result. You can quarry it with a crow bar, a hammer & chisel, and a
hydraulic jack. Machines do narrow the differences in quarry cost between
granite and sandstone.

I have little practical faith in slabs of bluestone being used for spanning
large areas. I have more faith in slate. I doubt very much that bluestone
would be often used for spanning of vaults, though I have seen it used in
townhouse stair landings where it forms a roof over the entry area to the
lower floor. I've seen this done with brownstone, limestone and marble as
well. These are relatively small areas being spanned. Even then I've never
seen anything 16" to 20" in thickness.

Contemporary bluestone comes in modular rectangular units that are designed
to fit together with a 3/8" - 1/2" mortar joint when laid out flat in a patio
pattern. They come in 1" to 2" thickness. You can get it in a uniform
thickness, the more expensive because either a higher quality of stone or
more "worked", but most often a single unit will have a varied thickness.
These units are of a size that a single mason can move around without getting
a hernia. They also fit on pallets fairly well, which can be moved with a
fork lift - easier on the highway transportation than large slabs. People
also like to set their sidewalk stones with mortar on a concrete bed these
days, whereas the larger slabs are usually set on a sand bed - which seems to
be a lost art in itself.

There is no current market for larger pieces of bluestone other than for
restoration purposes, so likewise there are no quarriers waiting breathless
for the BP preservationeer to call. The one bluestone quarrier that I know
personal is likely not to answer the phone at all.

The bluestone quarriers in the 1970's in the Deposit, NY area (West of the
Hudson, southwest of the Catskills, off Rt. 17 prior to Binghamton, not to
far from PA), were small family operations. When OSHA came along the quarries
were hit with a need to capitalize to purchase new SAFE equipment. Unable to
get the capital many of the quarries went out of business. Once a quarry goes
out of business the neighbors are very ornery about letting it open up again.
Those quarries that remain in business have a rough time of it… it is not as
if they are mining gold, and for the most part they have to make due with
what equipment they have at hand.

I'm talking about fabrication equipment, as in large saws… of which there is
an interesting variety in the stone business. It is a comparable situation to
a family farmer having to pay for a John Deere harvester.

These are some of the reasons why there is a lack of equipment, as Ivan
mentions, for fabrication of large bluestone slabs. Yes, the stone is there
in the ground, but if you can get it out and get it cut in large sections
good luck. There are rumors that there be a few quarries and fabricators that
can deliver large pieces, but you have to know the secret handshake.

Merrill is a great resource on stone quarry history and if I could find one
I'd buy it. Last time I saw one was 25 years ago in a college library. I
copied a lot of the charts and will see if I can dig any of them out of the
pile.

][<en