Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 May 2000 17:25:43 -0400
On Wed, 31 May 2000, Ken Stuart wrote:

> I have not seen this "don't eat for four hours" in any of Sears' writings (just
> like, parenthetically, "40-30-30" does not appear in any of Sears' writings).

Haven't we had this conversation before?  Sears says that if you
are wanting food less than 4 hours after a meal, you're doing
something wrong, and you should be striving for a 4 to 6 hour
satiety span.  Source, Mastering the Zone, p. 56: "Your primary
concern is to maintain the desire four- to six-hour response
regardless of the carbohydrate source."  As for 40-30-30,
he does indeed state or imply that this is the target, as in
Mastering the Zone, p. 39: "When you total up all the blocks,
they should be in 1:1:1 ratio."  If you substitute the caloric
equivalents of the blocks, you'll get 40-30-30.  In Entering the
Zone he has charts illustrating the 40-30-30 ratio as well.

> In fact, eating won't inhibit the glucagon response, because eating just puts
> food in your stomach - you then need to add the same 1.5 hour delay before you
> get a hormonal response from the second meal.
>
> IE, if you ate again after 3 hours, then the insulin peak from that eating would
> not occur until 4.5 hours after the previous meal, well after the glucagon peak
> from the previous meal.

The insulin response to the meal begins almost immediately; it
*peaks* after 1.5 hours.  But even the rising insulin level is
enough to interfere somewhat with the glucagon.  If you don't eat
for 4 to 6 hours after the meal, this doesn't happen.

Todd Moody