RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 09:45:37 +0100
Hi Axel,

> medical experiments fortunately are a very clear defined thing. they are a
> complete scientific fraud (...)
> experiments with animals (torturing them in myriads of ways for unfathomable
> reasons, actually) are a fundamental part of the religion of modern
> medicine, and it seems that many people (the "researchers", maybe because of
> a terrible childhood) have a insatiable need to torture helpless beings to
> death. the whole thing is barbaric.

What you say is partially true, but I would like to soften your
statement a little bit. On the point of view of researchers, doing
experiments on animals (e.g. testing a new drug) is a not necessarily
pleasant task, but is justified by the fact that it could save human
lives (i.e. they prefer to kill 10000 mice to save 100 humans than let
100 humans die). One could argue that modern medicine is often
unnecessary, that people should, instead of taking drugs, improve
their diet, exercise, reduce stress, etc. but in reality, they don't
want, or are not able to do that. Therefore, we are left with the
following dilemma:
 -sacrify (preferably small) animals, or
 -test the drugs directly on humans, and take the risk that the drug
could have dangerous side-effects, or
 -don't treat patients at all, let them die.

In my opinion, the first option is the least bad of all three,
provided experiments on animals are kept at minimum, and provided
suffering is reduced as much as possible (I have killed a few small
animals for other reasons than food, but each time the animal died in
less than one second, therefore didn't suffer excessively).

Now, you say that these researchers may have had a childhood trauma;
perhaps, but on the other hand, when you enter medical school, it is
not always easy to perform dissections at first. After a while, they
get used to it, though.

--Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>