From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 22:57:17 -0800
On 9 Sep 99, at 15:17, Bill McKinney wrote:

> William P. McKinney
> Hi,
> >I have read about "The Blue Screen of Death" and wonder if I'm
> >working up to something serious on my P120 computer with Win98 and IE5.
> >When I boot up, it goes through the normal routine and gets to my desktop
> >wallpaper, with the lower left toolbar showing and then goes to a complete
> >blue screen for about 8 seconds, with an arrow & hourglass and then paints
> >down to my normal desktop display with both lower left and right toolbars.
> >I don't seem to remember it doing this before, but I do not always watch the
> >boot up.  Everything seems to work O.K.  Should I be concerned?
> > >                                             Thanks,  Bill

  This sounds like a video driver initialization glitch.  You might
see if there's a newer driver for your video card available, but what
you describe is not immediately dangerous.

  It's not, by the way, *the* BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death).  BSOD
refers to a screen -- normally blue with white writing, although
under Win9x there's a way to set the colors to anything you like... --
 telling you about a protection error or exception.  It won't go away
until you acknowledge it, and it will generally try to kill the
offending program -- which is sometimes Windows itself (oops).

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html