From:
Yui Shin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 03:03:11 -0800
Rick Glazier writes:

> Is the power from a 5500w generator "clean" enough to run
> my computer? (Generator is a 10 year old Homelite.)
> Along the same lines, will it "stress" the components of my
> surge suppressors, and UPS.  I "think" they will only "suppress"
> a certain amount, and then be "worn-out/used up"?...
> Anybody have some good links/advise on this type of info?
> Thanks in advance.   Happy Y2K.    Rick Glazier

If I may begin by stating I've helped a local Dept. of Forestry
accomplish this during a large forest fire. In their case the
consequences were small compared to the need.

Aside from the non-rms pseudo sine-wave output and constant
voltage flux you can expect to power your computer for the
simple fact it rectifies the AC to DC. However, due to
the constant voltage flux your power supply will run much
hotter and eventually effect solder connections. Also, generators
send out a costant volley of low speed spikes unlikely to reach
motherboard components but very capable of weakening
transistors and regulators on the power supply.

Your monitor is almost guaranteed to shorten its life span
due to the direct AC supply circuit and stepped up voltage
demands coupled with unprotected dc components.

Bottom Line:

   If you have to do it.
   Listed in order of preference.

1.) a ups with a built in voltage regulator with constant output,
     not a relay or sensor activated designed to switch between
     battery, charger, or source AC.
2.) a voltage regulator which does not switch on and off at the
     slightest flux to become a liability.
3.) surge suppressor capable of clamping 250VAC or lower,
     3 MOV's per outlet to be used, < 1 nanosecond response,
     very high joule rating >160 joules per outlet used. UL
     Approved not with just a 1449 listing. Panamax, and APC
     have excellent 2 outlet models and tend to be a little light
     on 6/8 outlet models.
4.) a secondary power switch to deliver juice to your system
     as a go between once generator is started to minimize
     startup surge.

Final note: surge supressors do lose their effectiveness over time
just like ups's and voltage regulators primarily due to heat build up.
Generators rapidly degrade the MOV's in a suppressor, ups inverters,
and transformers in regulators.
All information was collected in the field over a 3 year trial and error
using commercial BMS power quality auditors.

above specifics and info apply to generator powered pc's only
-yui shin

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org