C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Anee Stanford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 12:39:20 EDT
Hi-

They do make gate trainers and the other equipment to fit people up to 120
pounds.  Gate trainers though are not the most practicle things in a class
room since they are rether akward looking as are standers--I did not even
know they existed till I worked with kids with severe disabilities in 7th
grade that were selfcontained.  People are much more used to wheelchairs and
walkers and canins.  It's something that they see on TV and magizeens.

For my peticular needs--and again I have ataxic and athetoid cp not spastic
like your son--I found two things basicly that helped me out in school alot.
1 was having a computer or type writer to compleet assignments on.  and I
also found my manual wheelchair and later scooter helped tremendusly because
even though I could wallk I go very tired easly and the wc helped conseve
energy so I could praticipate in class more.

Just my thought.
Anee

In a message dated 10/1/1999 4:31:21 AM Central Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

<< I have a question for you older ( with some of the recent exchanges I have
 hard time using the word "adults" ;-D)
 Alex is beginning to outgrow most of his DME and it is time to look at
 replacements.  Alex is mild/mod Spastic Quad. As of yet he does no
 independent standing or walking.  At this time he has a kid kart ( meaning
 he needs to be pushed) a mobile stander, and the rifton gait trainer.  I do
 expect in the future that Alex will be able to ambulate but it won't be his
 main mode of transportation. (BTW Alex is 4.5 and in Special Ed preschool).
 He is capable of maneuvering the mobile stander by himself fairly well,
 although he enjoys playing bump em walls...I think he likes the
 sensation/surprise as there are some visual problems involved....
 On to the question,  just what DME can't you live without?
 I know many of you swear by the WC..manual or electric.?..canes, walker
 etc...Could you also tell me what you particular CP involves and how it
 effected your choice of DME...what about school aids?  Computers, writing
 aids etc?
 Do any of you use a gait trainer?  I know that you will all keep in mind
 that Alex is young and needs to still develop skills,like any kid, so again
 what DME did you really appreciate growing up ( although I know kids hate
 all things that set aside from the crowd, I just figure if we start early
 maybe the WC, gait trainer etc will just seem to be a normal part of him as
 he knows nothing else) Please keep in mind that Alex shares house space with
 7 other people and space is limited so if you know of any combo products
  ex...walker with a seat etc) it would be appreciated

 Joanne