RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 7 Oct 2001 13:21:11 -0700
> > I seriously doubt that the USA is unique in all history for allowing
> > "whatever morality one engenders".  "All history" covers an awful lot
> > of ground.
>
> Name me another country, in all history, with separation of Church and
> State, and individual freedom and liberty, as it's central doctrines.

I can't, but not because there wasn't or isn't one, but because I don't have
an exhaustive knowledge of all this planet's countries, past and present.
And I'd happily wager big bucks that you don't either.  While there is a
chance that your statement is true, I am quite certain that none of us knows
whether it is or not.  It's like saying that Earth is the only planet with
life.  It may be true, but it doesn't make any sense to state it as if it is
a known fact, because it isn't a known fact and probably never will be.  Why
not just be patriotic and leave it at that?  It's not necessary to make
stuff up to be a good American.

> This is an unusual place. :)

I agree.  And I like it a lot.  And I have also felt more patriotic than
usual lately.  But that's no reason to start nominating Bush for sainthood
or anything.  (I'm not saying you did, but some folks practically have.)

> > Patriotism is fine and dandy, but jingoism gets old real fast.
>
> You know, when you start thinking about what it is we have going here,
> you'll find yourself getting embarassingly more and more patriotic as
> the days go by. At least I am. Maybe because I'm getting older, and all
> soggy and emotional and grateful for everything I have, most importantly
> my sunny, idealistic dreams of a free and tolerant society in the
> future, where my children and great grandchildren will be able to live
> with complete individual freedom to be whoever they want to be.
>
> I am a persistently naive, all-American idealistic 60's hippie
> flower-child, with a quintessentially American picture of the perfect
> world.

I'm sure that if you could look into the minds of all non-Americans and see
their pictures of the perfect world, you'd find many of those pictures to
look just like yours (minus the big ol' American flag waving above, of
course).

Carol