RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Stefan Jöst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 2000 15:32:39 +0200
Tom wrote:
>I wold like to know what to do about cravings.  The only ones I get are
>for bread or grain products, of which a few times I've broken down and
>sucumbed to.  I'm not the kind of person to beat myself up over eating a
>peice of bread or some crackers (which is all it takes to ease the
>craving), but would like to find something else raw to sub for the non
>raw material.  Strange, at the times when I want that piece of bread or
>cracker, nothing else in my mind seems like it would be right.  Then 20
>minutes after eating it, I'm left standing there puzzled as to why I
>needed to eat it.

A well known phenomen. Your body is just telling you that it needs
foods of higher density than fruits and vegetables.

You can try seeds, including the kernels of durian and jackfruit,
nuts,
avocados, herbs and mushrooms and find out if they satisfy you.
Prefer-
rably you would eat those denser foods in the evening, so your body
has more time to digest it. You can also soak and sprout seeds and
grains - maybe you'll like it.
Also you could go for normally unknown foods which are high in fat
or protein. The tropical rainforest has lots of foods that are not
cultivated and mostly unknown to be edible.

Another idea would be giving up vegetarianism. Lots of people have
made
the observation that being a cooked vegetarian or even vegan is not a
problem at all. But changing to raw isn't that easy if you want to
con-
tinue veg.

There's an excellent website of people with lots of experience in this
field: www.beyondveg.com

In Thailand I'm pretty sure that animal protein is highly praized
by the people because it's rare. You might consider trying raw fish
first, then go for a source of good eggs and with a lot of caution
you could search for trusty sources of meat.

What your big brain needs to work isn't just sugar as the sugar in-
dustry wants us to believe. It's   f a t. Fat is what the brain
consists of. Since it permanently changes its connections and struc-
ture it needs fat.
Fruits and vegetables do not contain useful amounts of fat (I don't
count avocados as fruits although they are botanically).
For me a certain amount of fat in the diet is absolutely necessary.
After a meal with fatty fish I dream better, think clearer,...

Best raw wishes,

Stefan