RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Hovila <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Sep 1999 15:35:29 -0700
Tom,
>Your view seems quite biased, from my perspective. If someone came
>here and claimed that 100% raw vegan gave them the power to fly (without
>an airplane, glider, helicopter, etc) and I challenged them, would you
>come to their defense? I suspect you would.

No, I would applaud you for challenging them.  I would not, however,
applaud you if your "challenge" amounted to: "This is impossible
according
to science; therefore you are a fraud."

What about this approach?  "Oh, really?  Fascinating!  Please tell us
all
the details.  By the way, please tell us when and where you will be
flying
next so that we can all come to witness it."  A fraud will expose
himself
in short order.  I know you feel a strong sense of mission to protect
us
from misinformation, but give us a little credit.  We can figure
things
out for ourselves.  And if we still don't figure it out, that is
something
you will have to accept.  You can't save everybody!

Your example reminds me that last year while I was subscribing to M2M
person wrote in to say that he was receiving voices from a device that
was implanted in his head by the government (CIA, I think).  Aside
from
this, his other comments sounded completely rational.  My first impuse
was to  write in telling the guy that he was crazy.   I never got
around to it. In the next issue I was very touched, and a little
ashamed
at myself, to read Bob Wyman responding with something like, "Please
tell
us  more about these voices.  How did they get there?  What can we do
help?"

>There is such massive dishonesty and hypocrisy in the raw movement
>(which is intellectually, ethically, and morally bankrupt) that
>there are times when plain talk is appropriate. Rawists need to
>come to grips with this, and to boycott the fakes, plagiarists,
>dietary racists, that are so abundant among the raw so-called
>"experts."

Well, the same could be said about the Republicans, the Democrats,
Catholics, Buddhists, and just about any other group you care to name.
Yeah, I guess everybody's glass is half empty.  Excuse me for being a
Pollyanna, but they're half full, too.  What seems to be going on is
that
negative experiences from your past are hampering your ability to deal
courteously with people you disagree with.

I'm not particularly well read on the scientific issues regarding raw
food.
This is just one of my periodic pleas for civility.  You may remember,
objected on another list when someone called you a "charlatan."
Mostly my
pleas fall on deaf ears, but that's the way it goes.

Mark
Seattle, WA, USA