RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rex Harrill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 10:04:57 -0500
Peter, it looks like the language barrier is tougher than I thought.
For instance my only exposure to "macro nutrients" has been in the
context of soil.  Animal feed is usually reported as crude protein,
total digestible fiber, fat, and such.  I can't remember "macro" ever
being attached.

Similarly, cows eat, and do well on a diet of tubers, which you suggest
is an impossibility.  They also relish fruits such as tomatoes, oranges,
and apples.  And, based on cats, I assume lions eat grass.

>Have you ever compared the brix of wild fruits and greens to
>that of their modern hybridized counterparts?

Not to any degree of satisfaction.  I'm hopeful that you understand
plants evolve both via selection and via hybridization.  In other words,
if there were two 'wild' fruit trees and one had better tasting fruit,
it would stand a better chance of having a human or animal pluck its
fruit and spread its seed.  OTOH, I suspect that by "hybridized" you're
implying some human crossed two similar plants to create a third.

However, FWIW, I do sometimes check the Brix values of weeds in crops.
If the weed Brix is higher than the crop Brix, I know I'm fertilizing
improperly (i.e., I'm feeding the weeds instead of the crop).

Now, to the meat of the matter...

>Repeat after me: A high brix, imbalanced diet is less detrimental
>to health than a low brix, imbalanced diet and brix never can
>make up for fundamental imbalances of macronutrients in a diet. ;-)

Peter, I tried repeating this and it puzzled me.  I saw the smiley, and
tried laughing, but even that didn't work.  Even allowing for your
misuse of "macronutrients,"  I still can't figure if you're serious.
Then, when I combine the above with this...

>Rex, you cannot fool us with another one of your poorly
>veiled plugs for fruitarianism. ;-)

...I have to accept that all seriousness, or attempts at seriousness,
are out the window.  Have I been assigned an agenda?  If so be careful,
for labeling me may instead label you.

Anyway, I went back through your message and found this...

>Likewise, if humans are not designed
>to eat high fruit diets, no matter how high the brix
>of the fruits consumed, it will not be able to make up
>for the macronutrient imbalances in such diets.

Well, your claim is logical *if* humans are not designed to eat fruit.
OTOH, why does the high Brix stuff taste so wondrously good?

Sorry Peter, but that's the best I can do today.

Regards,
Rex Harrill