RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lynton Blair <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 01:06:54 GMT
Hi Liza,
Paul:
>> If you keep going back and forth between 'crap' and 'healthy' raw vegan then
>> there may be a problem with both. Nutritionally a good varied diet, perhaps
>> mostly raw and organic, with adequate animal or total protein, might help
>> you stabilize over the long term.
>>... extremes for more than a short period can be harmful, especially I
>> imagine going from one extreme to another.
>
>Great advice, great thinking, great great great (at least in my opinion :)).

I agree: the body (and the digestive flora) take time to adjust to changes
in food intake.
( IMO, especially negative ones).

Paul:
>> ...intestines elongated...
Lisa:
>Or enlarged and enormously wide (and therefore able to carry an
>inordinately large amount of stool, which slows transit time, contributing
>to the accompanying problems of auto-intoxication, degradation of the
>intestinal wall, and so on.) Or the formation of "diverticuli" - little
>balloning pockets along the intestinal wall - the condition known as
>diverticular disease. There are many problems associated with
>disfigurements of the small intestine, and colon especially, and many can
>be directly related to many years of lack of fiber in the diet.

Lynton:
I apologise for the graphic nature of my comment here, but I feel it needs
to be said:
Or unexcreted matter that has 'stuck' to the lining of the digestive tract.
An explanation for this might be to do with the way the body treats matter
that it decides is 'foreign'.  In particular here, I am referring to the
'bad' lectins in some foods.  They are agglutinated by the immune system,
and if in the gut the sticky conglomeration literally does stick to the gut
wall, thus blocking normal processes at the skin surface.  (If the lectins
make their way through the gut wall, then they end up like rubbish in
organs, etc and thus are thought to cause disease).  In addition, probably
are a bit like a rubbish dump, which supports all sorts of unwanted vermin.

Paul:
>> The truth is probably .......... that I could eat very healthy
>> for a long time - many years - and still not be as healthy as many SAD
>> eaters that have a different constitution .....

Liza:
>...this little sentiment you've expressed is actually a key concept,

Lynton:
It amazes me how well some people on the SAD diet survive ( ...for now ).
Remember the increasing numbers with serious diseases, even at younger ages.
Unfortunately, the SAD is becoming SADer though, and we hav'nt seen the
effects of GE yet!

Liza:
>which people in the
>"health-food, special-diet" world seem to be unwilling to acknowledge.

Lynton:
and partly because they havn't the faintest clue, or when they come across
one they disclaim it because it doesn't fit with "accepted theory".
A common statement (just watch any official trying to explain why some
medication or agricide or genetically modified 'food' is 'safe') : "There is
no evidence to suggest otherwise".  What this translates to is "I have no
scientific proof to support any bad effects (and I'm not looking for any
either)".
Newton looked at an apple falling and deduced a cause that he could not see,
hear, or explain and called it gravity.  Nowdays he would have to say
something like "I don't understand why things seem to keep falling downwards
and not in other directions.  Since I don't have a theory as to how this
occurs, it doesn.t exist".  ;)

Liza:
> In my opionion, diet is a critical factor, but, fortunately or unfortunately,
>even the "best" diet ... may not even ensure good health.

Lynton:
Yes, and a diet that's good for say curing cancer might not work to sustain
the person in health afterwards.  (And that same diet might not even cure
cancer in another person).