RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 28 Feb 1999 22:29:15 +0100
Hi Kirt,

> Alan:
> >Humour aside, you are obviously not so well educated as to what you
> >can and can not eat raw. Actually you can eat anything raw...but
> >sometimes only once. ;-) Raw string beans contain a toxic protein
> >known as "phasine", whether you think it funny or not.
>
> Toxins are everywhere, Alan. Get used to it.

Why on earth should I get used to eating toxins. Even apes only eat
what they are taught to eat. They do not instinctively eat anything and
even the world famous instincto Guy-Claude Burger would not advise you
to experiment (experiment with non-toxic foods by all means OTOH).

> Just because you have a name
> for something you can't see doesn't change the fact that fresh string beans
> are at particular times, for particular people, and in particular amounts,
> quite delicious and satisfying, resulting in no toxic effects.

Toxic effects are not always either noticeable or immediate. It is
totally irresponsible of someone who has obviously not gone deep
enough into the subject to spout out such idiotic recommendations on
a world forum.

> You're
> right, I am not well educated about what can be eaten raw. I leave it to my
> tongue.

I am one of a few in Germany (and even in the world) who feeds to a
large degree on wild plants (what some people may call weeds). My
advice in this respect is heeded and a monthly list of recommended
wild plants from me is published in our journal "Natuerlich Leben"
("Live Naturally"). The responsibility which goes with publishing
such a list in a journal which is read nationwide is obviously
enormous. Think of all the claims for damages if someone ended up
poisoned. Roughly 15% of all wild plants which grow in Germany
(and Europe in general) contain toxic substances (as well as many
domesticated veggies such as peas, beans, potato leaves and
cabbage etc. when eaten raw.

> Pity all those poor animals (primates even) who don't know about
> the multi-syllabic toxins and Alan's list of right and wrong foods. ;)
> Humor aside, that is.

Recommending the consumption of foods which contain dangerous toxins,
such as you have done, is no laughing matter at all Kirt. If you are
not aware of what you are eating (which you admitted yourself) then
stay clear of replying to posts on subjects which are obviously out
of your depth. Learn by all means..and report on your experiences by
all means..but do not make unqualified and sweeping statements of
"fact" such as "Just because you have a name for something you can't
see doesn't change the fact that fresh string beans are at particular
times, for particular people, and in particular amounts, quite delicious
and satisfying, resulting in no toxic effects" without any backup unless
you know what you are talking about.

Alan