From:
Ben Balzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Oct 1999 22:24:42 +1000
> With interest I've followed the discussion about raw foods that are high
> in toxins.  The only thing I find myself eating that would be unsuitable
> raw is aubergine, or eggplant I think it's called in USA right?
> It's a favourite of us over here and does anyone know if it would be
> wiser to avoid it?

It's paleo IMHO- Aubergine/eggplant has a fruit structure- an edible
fruiting body containing seeds. The fruiting body is designed to be eaten by
animals that pass the seeds and new plnts grow.

> When starting eating paleo a few weeks ago at first I lost weight and
> sticking to the diet was quite easy.  Now for some reason it is just too
> hard at times to eat the 'right'  stuff and I even gained weight again.
> Bringing a lunchbox to work with veggies and fish or meat is no problem
> but I have a yearning for bread and cookies.  On a few occasions I just
> took some even.
> Immediately after eating bread and sugarcontaining cookies I got cold,
> shivering and nearly fell asleep behind my desk.  Carbs do have that
> effect on me but it is hard to say no at the moment.

 I found that at first I couldn't do without carbs- so started eating huge
quantities of fruit, inc bananas, even dried fruits. Root vegetables are
very good- search the archives for Ray Audette's posting with in the last 6
weeks on root veges.
I went to a lecture by Loren Cordain, one of the gurus- quite a large intake
of root vegetables in modern hunter gatherers, in his soon to be published
study. He didn't talk much about root vegetables, but I continue to tip them
as likely to turn out to be very important to health- they're seriously
underinvestigated as a food group.

 Don't eat cookies etc they're not Paleolithic. Paleo isn't just a high
protein low carb diet- it's far more then that. There are plenty of
unsuccessful high protein diets around eg Scarsdale. Follow this:

Paleo doesn't include foods that are inedible raw.
Foods that are inedible raw are inedible because they contain toxins.
These toxins are mostly destroyed by cooking BUT NOT ENTIRELY.
The residual toxins are the cause of obesity etc. in paleo theory.
Also, non-paleo foods are high in calories/ low in vitamins= low vitamin per
calorie.
So, it's much more Paleo to eat more fruit or dried fruit to get over the
tuning period.
Once you've detoxed (gotten over all those toxins)(allow say 10 weeks, or
just wait until your weight loss stops), then you won't need high carbs
anymore, maybe.
Anyhow, I'd forgotten about the high meat business and was quite happy on my
high carb high fruit diet as I'd dropped 11kg=24lb. Finally realised, so
I've increased meat/fish and reduced fruit and am losing weight again, and
feeling v. good.

I'll continue some of this vein in my reply to Todd's post Re: [P-F] the Old
Guard won't give up without a fight.

> So any advice or a few words of encouragement would be welcome ;-))
>
> Christy, hungry as usual, from the Netherlands

Don't get hungry, have a banana for goodness sake.

Ben from Australia :-)