From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 16:56:25 +0200
Todd Moody wrote:
>On Wed, 6 Oct 1999, Amadeus Schmidt wrote:
>> In  genetically modified fruit (also by cultivation) we can
>> experience that the sugar/starch content is higher than the
>> vitamin-B1 supply that comes with it.
>> Bananas for example are at the boudary. They have slightly less
>> thiamin than the 3mg per kg carbohydrate.

>Are you saying that 3 mg of thiamin is needed per 1,000 g of
>carbs, or per 1,000 g of typical carb-containing foods (which
>would include water weight, etc.)?

I tried to find the minimum ratios comparing the thiamin
to 1000g carbohydrate.
This from the statement in one of my vitamin books that
potatoes cooked in (wasted) water loose thiamin to an extent less
than what was needed to use the potatoe carbs.
Raw potatoe as 5mg per kg carb. Water cooked has 2.5 mg.

A second source: http://www.eagle-min.com/faq/faq108.htm
states that "the Recommended Dietary Allowance for children and

adults is 0.5 mg
(1.9 µmoles) per 1000 Kcalories."
1000kcal are about 250 g pure carbs giving about 2mg RDA per 1 kg

carb if carbs only.

Oats, which is high in fat has an elevated ratio of above 7.
Nuts which are very high in fats have very high ratios of
20 (walnut) or even higher (pistazio).

This suggests that eather fat burning does need some thiamin too.
Then we should rather compare to calories instead of carbs.

Or the tiny seed has a little of thiamin "on stock" to be ready to

use first
carbohadrytes comeing from the very first sunrays on the first leave.

Amadeus