C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Loree Monroe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 22:32:19 EDT
It's been over a month since I introduced myself and told the story, so I
will go over some of it again. I have a 9 year old daughter who has been
diagnosed with apraxia of speech and sensory integration disorder and now at
age 9 also has been diagnosed with CP, ataxic type.
We took her to a neurologist (St. Louis Children's Cerebral Palsy Clinic- Dr.
Jan Brunstrum, <[log in to unmask]> who has CP herself) and after 45
minutes, got a diagnosis and some focus on what is important for Emily. Dr.
Brunstrom (sp?) sees herself as an advocate for kids with CP in their
educational and social lives.
So, she wants the school to start using a lot more keyboarding and to get
Emily involved in sports more (swim lessons and horseback riding isn't
enough, I guess.) I feel really content to have found an advocate who right
away can see all the potential behind my daughter's kind of floppy outward
appearance. I also feel a bit overwhelmed, because now I need to translate
this doctor's suggestions into reality and convince all the people in school
that Emily needs to be using the keyboard and how that is implemented in this
day and age of worksheets. (She does have a little desk top word processor-so
the school is not totally clueless.)

Loree in MO, mom of Emily, age 9 with mild CP