BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Donald B. White" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Is this the list with all the ivy haters?"
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 22:45:29 -0500
I am still a member of the local Model A club in Northern Virginia--I'll
have to ask around--some of the members have been here long enough that
someone may remember this car.

A few anecdotes:

When I was living in South Florida in the early 70s and my own early 20s
(and my everyday car was a Model A Ford), I learned most of what I know
about them from Bill Schaller, a guy my age who had become something of a
local Model A guru--which I hear he still is. He had started with the
premise that the cars were as good as originally described in comtemporary
literature, factory brochures, etc, and wasn't content until he had them
working as descrebed--in comfort, performance, handling, braking. He sought
out people who had worked on the cars when new, read everything, and was
constantly refining his own cars. They were faster, smoother running,
better stopping that anyone else's Model As--and I find that even today,
only a few people know how good the cars really were. Any Model A that
can't be driven at 65-75 mph, doesn't start first try, and can't stop on a
dime needs work--very few of them are that good.

People would bring cars to Bill for him to work on, and in this way he was
brought a 1930 Tudor Sedan with 42,000 original miles on it. Most of the
original paint was still there, the original interior (worn and torn),
everything. It needed a new roof (closed cars of that era have fabric
roofs) and was cosmetically worn, but it was all original--and as a friend
of mine (and fellow Morgan owner) who designs museum exhibits said to me
(about my Morgan), "you can restore it again and again, but it's only
original once." One day Bill and I took this car out-he said I had to drive
it. Bill already had made most of his discoveries and had the best-running
restored Model A around. But this thing was a revelation. I tapped the
starter, it hardly made a sound, and the engine was running. It drove more
smoothly than any Model A we'd ever driven. It easily ran up to 65-70 mph.
We looked at each other, realising that our standards of what these cars
should be had just been dramatically raised. The effect of this mental
wedgie was to send us back to our own cars in pursuit of even greater
levels of performance.

A year or so later, Bill bought a 1931 Coupe with 11,000 miles on it. The
car had been the grand prize at a raffle at a county fair in Georgia for
several decades. Each year the organizers would buy it back from the winner
by offering several times its value. One year, perhaps 1972 or 73 (when
Model A values were rising their fastest) the winner didn't want to sell,
and the car ended up for sale in Florida. It was very clean, of course. It
also had a combination of paint color and interior fabric not listed in the
books, but unquestionably original (and now in those books).

During those days in Florida, Bill told me he'd heard of new Model As
stored in a warehouse in Chicago from new. We used to dream about how nice
it would be to have one that we didn't have to restore--we spent most of
our time fixing what was done to the cars by ignorant previous owners.

I've seen a few remarkably original cars from the 1920s. They tend to look
unreal. One was a 1927 Buick with very low mileage which I saw both on the
show field and later, on a lift--it was as clean underneath as on top.
Looked like a new restoration.

I have to admit, nice as it would be to have a 'new' antique (and it is, in
the case of the Morgan), if it were too perfect I would hate to drive
it--after all, as my friend said, it's only original once.

Don White