BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Donald B. White" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Is this the list with all the ivy haters?"
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 22:26:10 -0500
Ken, you're welcome to a ride in my Morgan if ever it, you and I are in
proximity.

Unfortunately I have never been able to bring it to a preservation-related
event, although I did drive it to the CSI convention in Baltimore in 1998
(it was my only running car that summer). I would have liked to bring it to
IPTW in 1998 or 1999 (I thought driving a timber-framed automobile there
would have been appropriate), but the combination of inclement weather and
the need to transport more Preservation Sourcebooks than it would carry
prevented this. I do drive it in the rain, and it is a four seater and
could hold perhaps 6 boxes of books, but I don't like to beat it up
unnecessarily (though I do drive it often, including to work on this recent
unusually warm Monday) and the Volvo wagon holds a lot more books.

The attached picture is from the first day of the "Preservation Sourcebook
Road Trip 98" (July 9-August 5, 1998) en route from Arlington, VA to
Buffalo, NY via the old Federal highways over the Alleghenies. This was in
central PA on the way to the Roadster Factory in Armagh. Unfortunately I
was there on a Friday... After a week in Buffalo, I drove via Bennington,
VT (stopping at Hemmings Motor News; one of their editors also owns a
Morgan) to Center Ossippee, NH, a loop through the edge of Maine, and back
down the coast. I didn't get to do a proper tour this year, but I did take
the Morgan to spend a month in Niantic, CT in April--a little too cold for
open cars at that time, but all those lovely back roads were worth it.

This car is in original, unrestored condition with fewer than 20,000 miles
from new. I bought it in October 1997 with 11,400 miles on it, and have put
the rest on since. That paint is original. Its name is, inevitably, The
Great Pumpkin (with all due respect to the recently retired Charles M
Schulz).

Don