From:
Stacey Nagel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 14:04:58 -0500

I was hoping the listmates might be able to help me out.  I spoke with a
Pharmacist at Schering-Plough who indicated that they do not do any testing
on their products for gluten so could not make any guarantees.  Here's the
list of inactive ingredients for Claritin and Claritin-D.  Does anybody
have any ideas where there might be gluten?

Claritin: corn starch, lactose, magnesium stearate

Claritin-D 12 hour:  Acacia, Butyl Paraben, Calcium Sulfate, Carnuba Wax,
Corn Starch, Lactose, Magnesium Stearate, Microcrystalline Cellulose,
Neutral Soap, Oleic Acid, Povidine, Rosin, Sugar, Talc, Titanium Dioxide,
White Wax, Zein (derived from corn)

By the way, I informed them that some of their competitors in the anti-
histamine category do claim to be gf (i.e. Allegra) and Schering-Plough
should consider testing for gluten as part of their responsibility as a
drug company and in order to remain competitive.  Suprisingly, the woman I
spoke with agreed and will bring it up with management.  If anyone wants to
add their voice, the number is 800-526-4099.