From:
TempestTerriers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 12:49:02 -0400
Sal:
I guess I was trying to make the point that eating paleo is only part of
the equation.  I
think that each of us has to tweak the paleo formula to what best suits
our own
individual body chemistry.  This means, within a paleo framework, that
some of us may be
able to eat a lot more sat fats than others.

For me personally, I eat commercially raised meats.  I do eat basically
paleo - mainly
meats, vegetables, nuts, a little fruit.  I do cheat and have one cup
(not mug) of coffee
each day before exercising.  Once in awhile I do have a piece of cheese.

The Wall Street Journal had a very interesting article last Friday (Oct.
8) on the latest
theories concerning heart disease and heart attacks.  According to this
article, many of
the old theories about cholesterol may be inaccurate.  The new theories
deal with
arterial inflammation which sets the stage for the accumulation of fatty
deposits(from
cholesterol)  along the artery wall.  Researchers have found that 1/3 of
all heart attack
victims have a cholesterol rate at or below 200.  Also, that many heart
attacks take
place in people with arteries less than 80% blocked.  The researchers
are trying to
determine why some people seem to get inflammation in the arteries and
others do not
because without this inflammation cholesterol(the building block of
these plaques) does
not seem to be a problem.

Paula H.