CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Koenig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Jun 2000 19:06:35 -0700
Issodhos snipped the part of the message that stated the thread I introduced, and
to which he sent many messages (check the archives my friend), that was
specifically about whether Canada or the U.S. had a better health care system.
It was not a statistical exchange between Mumps and me.  He presented an
ideological argument which included a few false statistics and absurd
statements.  I responded to his points citing both data and authority.  I
suggested that the case was closed unless anybody, Issodhos  included, wished to
present any reputable data to argue otherwise (Again, check the archives).

Because Issodhos sent many messages to this thread without providing any
reputable data to challenge the overall efficiency and cost effectiveness of the
Canadian system versus the U.S., I suggested that apparently he was  really
trying to discuss other points, which I attempted to identify and asked him to
correct me if I misstated them.

Your current reply, Issodhos, is reminiscent of your reply to my earlier post
about Nike in which I responded to your query of what difference various protests
made with specific instances of changed behaviour (to which your reply was
"meaningless".)  It does make it difficult to dialogue with one when a concrete
factual answer to a question specifying documented changes is dismissed as
"meaningless".  Why bother trying to dialogue with you if you are not receptive
to honest and polite factual responses?  In that same post you either
fundamentally misunderstood or chose to intentionally misrepresent my comment
that boycotts are effective.  As evidence, I suggested that one check out Nike's
RELATIVE (sorry for shouting, but you don't seem to hear very well) sales figures
and stock performance.  These do, of course, make my point, but you cited
ABSOLUTE stock performance as dismissive of my argument -- only true, of course
if my argument was intentionally misstated or misunderstood.  Nike's stock
performance relative to the Dow-Jones industrials, and other measures, was quite
negatively affected by the boycott, as an outgrowth of the effects of the boycott
on their sales.

Although I like to exchange and discuss ideas, I really don't like to get into
pissing contests.  It is negative karma and a waste of energy.  It is for this
reason that I did not previously point out your distortions and/or
misunderstandings of what I had said in response to an earlier thread, and why I
will not respond further to you about this one after the following  remarks.
However, I do find offensive your repeated distortions, and for that reason have
pointed out above a few of your previous ones and will make a few remarks, below,
about your distortions in the current post.   I should add that your distortions
would have been much more apparent to other readers had you included my original
post rather than snipping most of it and selectively citing passages without the
full context.

You said:  " I will leave it to you and Mumpisis to determine who has the better
health care system."
This is an interesting comment.  If you will leave it to Me and Mumps, why did
you make so many posts on that thread?  And have you not noticed that Mumps was
unable to respond to the data and authorities that I cited in demonstrating why
his data were factually incorrect, and his arguments misleading and inaccurate.
What is there to leave to us?  Which part of it didn't you understand?

 The "flow of logic" was your term.  My statement was that if you hold to the
philosophy that one should not be taxed to assist in providing publicly funded
services that an individual does not want and may not see benefit from, that,
logically, there can be no justification for any public services.  The reason for
this is that there will always be some who will make this argument about any
service. This would lead to the "law of the jungle".

As for the social contract, you belatedly (after several others harshly berated
you for the social Darwinist views implied in many of your posts) backtracked and
conceded that we must indeed have a social contract, though your earlier posts
certainly suggested that for you it should be drawn rather close to a Dawinian
anarchistic boundary).

It is for that reason that I, not you, introduced the notion of values.  You
stated, quite incorrectly, that I claimed my values to be superior to yours.
Nowhere did I state such a position.  What I stated, is that where one draws the
line is based upon what one's values are.  You conceded this (philosophy of the
relationship between the individual and society), while perhaps not recognizing
that you had done so.  Without a social contract, we would have Darwinian
anarchy.  With a social contract the issue becomes one of where we draw the line,
based upon values, which of course will differ across the population.  You state
that it is not a question of values at all but clearly you don't seem to
comprehend how one's perception of the ideal system of government is built upon
one's basic values-based assumptions.

You also don't appear to understand the perspective  that I tried to explain to
you under the concept, which was in quotes, of "externalization of costs."   You
throw in the odd red herring or two (as an aside . . . ), backtrack from your
previously stated extreme positions which have been rejected, and add a few more
distortions for good measure.

You have either misunderstood or misstated what I have said (again).  That's sad,
but not cause for me to respond to further posts from you until such time as you
engage in honest discussions without distorting or misrepresenting what others
say.  I have no need to convince you that my dick is bigger than yours.

Dan