BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"BP - \"Shinola Heretics United\"" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Mark Rabinowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 12:26:31 -0500
A whole lot of discussion was raised a few years ago by a researcher who
claimed that the secret to the sound of Stradivarius violins was that the
wood had been sunken and aged in the river that ran through Cremona for
years before cutting, resulting in some unique qualities that produced their
sound.  He went on to test the sound characteristics of waterlogged wood
claiming to prove that this would make re-creation of these violins a simple
process.  This claim was met with a certain amount of skepticism.  He later
modified his claims to state that the wood was waterlogged not in the river
but in vats of piss which provided even more unique characteristics.  At
this point there was a distinct diminishment in further results of his
theories.  I wonder what would happen if you aged wood in Shinola.  Or fumed
it.