From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 10:50:43 -0700
At 01:18 PM 11/16/1999 , Dharam Bhardwaj wrote:
>I am finding more and more 'winmodems' are appearing on the market.
>
>How can I tell if a modem is a MODEM? What features should I be looking
>for? Or, what questions should I be asking?

Typically all PCI modems are usually "Winmodems."  They are the
wave of the future.  The standard modems are typically ISA or use
an ISA slot.   When dealing with internal modems this is the easiest
way to verify...  though I believe I have seen some ISA Winmodems...
though they are rare.   Personally, I hate Winmodems.  They are
a bane to  me as far as customer problems.  I refuse to sell them
and typically only use US Robotics(3com) ISA 56k modems.  They
are as near to trouble free for my clients as any I have used.

The best way to verify is to get the model number of the modem you
intend you buy, if you are unsure it is a standard modem, visit the
manufacturer's web site and check to model number against the
product information.

Though they are a bit more expensive, all external modems are NOT
Winmodems.

Now...  with that said, I am sure there will be exceptions to this...  there
always seems to be exceptions...  *wink*

      Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org