From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Sep 1999 09:28:26 -0600
At 11:21 PM 9/4/99 , Rick Poepping wrote:
>Thanks Bob.  That's a different perspective.  i, for one, am glad you
>took the extra time and did some investigative work.  I'll get the
>latest BIOS -mine's almost a year old- and see what happens.  May end up
>building a new system for myself and reload Win95 on this one and turn
>it over to wife and 2yr old.  Neither will use it very hard.  Now if I
>could only get a copy of Win95 OSR2 -I only have Win95a-.  We'll hafve
>to see.
>
>Do you have a motherboard to recommend for the K6-2 300 and Win98 that
>performs well?  What are you using now (in your builds?)

Personally, for my own personal system, I use an ASUS P2B motherboard.
I would also consider using an Abit or Tyan board, (my last system board was
a Tyan).  But, Tyan and ASUS are expensive motherboards...  right at the top
of the price curve.  But, my personal system is always running, every slot is
filled and the Enlight mid-tower has no room for anything else to be added.

Now, with that said,  when I build AMD K6 systems, I have been using
SOYO motherboards with a great deal of success.  These boards are very
price effective, I have not seen one turn up DOA and I have not had one go
bad in the six months I have been using them.  That says a lot to me.  They
are easy to configure and have no special issues during installation.
    http://www.soyo.com

I use these boards NOT because I find them better than other AMD compatible
boards, but because my favorite wholesale supplier stocks them and they
are very price effective,  in the under $65 range.

The only motherboard I have used in the last year that I would advise you
to stay clear is the Matsonic boards.   I tried these boards last fall, due to
the price and of the five motherboards I purchased three went back for warranty
replacement in the first month.  When I recently updated our Links page at:
    http://nospin.com/pc/links.html     I considered leaving Matsonic off the list
of 33 motherboard manufacturers.  But, since we provide this list for several
reasons, one so that people can find them when they need help, I left Matsonic
on the list.

But, except for them, nearly all of the others listed have products that are usable
and typically have few problems.  My recommendation is discover which motherboards
are easily available to you and in a price range that works for you.   Then, if you
have no experience with the motherboard, ask for recommendations on the board
here on PCBUILD.

                 Bob Wright
        The NOSPIN Group, Inc
http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org