Date:
Sun, 5 Sep 1999 00:21:08 -0500
Thanks Bob.  That's a different perspective.  i, for one, am glad you
took the extra time and did some investigative work.  I'll get the
latest BIOS -mine's almost a year old- and see what happens.  May end up
building a new system for myself and reload Win95 on this one and turn
it over to wife and 2yr old.  Neither will use it very hard.  Now if I
could only get a copy of Win95 OSR2 -I only have Win95a-.  We'll hafve
to see.

Do you have a motherboard to recommend for the K6-2 300 and Win98 that
performs well?  What are you using now (in your builds?)

Thanks,

Rick Poepping

Bob Wright wrote:

> At 08:24 PM 9/2/99 , Rick Poepping wrote:
> >Oh, those dreaded words.......
> >
> >Yes, you've heard from me before on this subject.  I wish I could fix
> >it.  I had 64M on a FIC 503+ MB, 7G HD (4G still free 3 of it on C:\),
> >Matrox G200 8M AGP,  AMD K6-2 300 MHz.
> >
> >OS= Win 98 upgrade, clean install (long ago)
> >I run Netscape 4.6, also use it for mail
> >run quicken, excel, word, notepad, Norton AV
> >
> >I also run Active Worlds 3D browser, Virtual Places form Excite and ICQ.
> >
> >I was told 64M may not be enough, so I upgraded to 128M  (all Corsair
> >PC100).
> >
> >I'm still having problems.  I thought it was due to Active Worlds or VP,
> >but I haven't run them in a while to try to figure this out.
> >
> >I just rebooted, ran quicken, netscape (just to get mail) and left the
> >system on all night (monitor off).  Next day I copy a CD to the HD and
> >after that I can't open my next program because there isn't enough
> >memory!!!  I couldn't even get the Start button to bring up the close
> >screen.  This happens way too often.
> >
> >Any suggestions??
> >Other diagnostic tricks/tips???
>
> An angry client brought me just such a system this week with
> a dead hard drive, wishing to upgrade from Windows95a to
> to her new Windows98se.  The hard drive replacement was
> easy enough, although she had no backups of her data and
> she is still in mourning for the loss, (she is a travel agent and
> lost years of contact information).   Always make backups!!!
>
> The same combination, the FIC 503+ and AMD K6-2 300,
> kept me busy for many hours yesterday.   This motherboard
> has some real issues in the BIOS.  I did a flash upgrade on
> the BIOS, using the latest version from FIC and it solved numerous
> issues.  Though I still was required to turn off the L2, (external),
> cache in order to load Win98se, as it generated a "While Initializing
> device CONFIGMG: Windows Protection Error. You need to
> restart your computer."
>
> This was generated when Windows Setup flushes the L2 Cache as it
> initializes the PCI-to-AGP Bridge during the install process of Win98.
> It would install Windows95 with no issues and ran fine.  Most of the
> time I wasted was due to my interest in discovering the issues involved
> between Windows95a - OSR2 and Windows98se in this combination.
> I loaded all three operating systems at different times to determine the
> motherboard's relationship to each one.
>
> Okay, the client could have had the system back far sooner, but I wanted
> to acquire some practical working knowledge of this issue.  Personally,
> this motherboard, although excellent for Windows95/95a/95b(OSR2),
> just does not run well with Windows98, even with the BIOS upgrade.  It is
> buggy...   at least the one on my workbench.
>
> I would believe your issue is BIOS driven.   Although I sold quite a few of
> these motherboards at one time, I am unimpressed with Windows98's
> ability to function on this board.  Your best solution maybe to either
> [...]

                            The NOSPIN Group
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org