From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 1999 10:03:25 -0700
> This is probably about my average consumption
> (around
> 9 ounces a day).  That figure does not include fish,
> shellfish,
> other poultry, or other red meats (buffalo, venison,
> etc.)
> So as Todd said, this can make a reasonable paleo
> diet.

That's true. I wonder if the original statistics were
for beef and pork only? Or if they included fowl
and/or fish?
> Among bodybuilders, the difference between LBM and
> body weight is
> rather less than it is for the rest of us!

True. If LBM is "body weight" minus "fat weight", then
it would be easy to calculate. But is that the
"official" LBM definition. Or do you have to account
for bone and other tissues as well?

> I know one backpacker who
> brings just
> peanut butter with some dried fruit mixed in, packed
> into sealed
> plastic bags.

I used to take some peanut butter in a "realoadable"
squeeze tube. But it was just for "snacks".
Unfortunately, I had been brainwashed by the balanced
diet folks into believing it should only be a small
part of my daily regimen, and the majority of calories
should come from high carb grain (pasta) sources. I
can assure you the next backpacking trip I take will
have a *totally* different menu.

> > >It makes sense that a
> > >large protein feast should trigger an insulin
> response similar to
> > >that of a carbohydrate feast.
> >
> > That is the explaination of the fact that i am
> craving very sweet thing like
> > honey everytime i eat lot of meat at one setting.
> > How  large protein meal  can trigger an insuline
> response ?

"Ding"! This could be the answer to the question I
posed quite a few digests back about why I crave
sweets after a "large" meat meal and not after a
smaller meat meal. Last night, for example, I "pigged
out" on beef ribs and salad, and within an hour I just
*had* to eat some grapes. Whereas my wife, who ate a
more modest serving, had no similar reaction.

> So I am going to try strictly
> limiting my
> protein portions for the next few weeks and see what
> happens.  If
> my weight and cholesterol begin to drop then I think
> I'll have a
> good idea what's going on.

I think I will keep my servings more moderate as well
and see if the craving disappear.

And, speaking of Neanderthin, I had a standing order
in with Barnes and Noble for the book, which was
supposed to ship in September. Today I got an email
from B&N that regretted to inform me that they could
not fulfill the order from either their warehouse, or
from the publisher. Anyone got a clue? Can Ray shed
some light on this perhaps?