Date:
Mon, 6 Sep 1999 21:28:53 -0700
>    In recent decades we have the relatively new phenomenon of the
>    "junk food vegetarian", i.e., the person who thinks that a
>    "healthy diet" is any combination of junk that doesn't include
>    meat.

I witness this daily! In my office we have the Gen-Xers who
chain-smoke (sons & daughters of Joe Camel), drink
caffeinated, carbonated, aspartame-ized beverages, eat candy
bars for breakfast, yet claim some kind of moral high-ground
by virtue of their vegetarianism... not that I ever see them
actually *eating* vegetables. They look like hell, fight
obesity, and seem to feel bad most of the time. How ironic
that some good red raw or sub-cooked meat would probably
improve their health.