BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Donald B. White" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Is this the list with all the ivy haters?"
Date:
Sat, 15 Jan 2000 19:32:05 -0500
Among the various kinds of music in which I have been interested
(predominant and most permanent being 1920s "hot jazz" bands) are the works
of G&S. When this interest was at its height I was given a copy of "The
Complete Gilbert & Sullivan Opera Guide," which includes all the complete
libretti as well as background information on the operas.

Some years ago, when the editor of the Morgan club newsletter was also a
G&S fan, he wrote several parodies based on the G&S patter songs but with
the lyrics referring to Morgans. One of these was "I am the very model of a
modern Morgan motor car." I responded with some of my own composition,
which were also published in the newsletter. I later heard that my best
effort, based on the Admiral's song from Pinafore ("When I was a lad" as if
sung by company founder H F S Morgan) had been reprinted in the UK Morgan
club magazine and had met with the approval of Peter H G Morgan
himself--who is also a G&S fan.

This is a game anyone can play, applicable to whatever interest you have.
Anyone care to try? Perhaps there's an audience for "The Pigeons of
Penzance", "Ivylanthe", or "The Make-Do"?

Don White