From:
Lisa McKinney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Oct 1999 20:51:48 -0600

Thanks to all who responded.

The consensus was that Biaxin is GF.  Most people checked the Stokes
Pharmacy Book on Celiac Sprue (1-800-754-5222).  There were several
recommendations to order the Stokes guide, I believe called "A Guide
Through the Medicine Cabinet" and take it with you to each doctor
appointment.  I understand the cost to be about $20.  Call Stokes if you
want a copy.

Biaxin manufacturer Abbott Pharmaceuticals' phone no. is 800-255-5162.

One person stated she is a celiac and an RN and had taken Biaxin and had
what she thought was a reaction, so she called the company and was
assured it was GF.  She stated it can cause you nausea and leave a
metallic taste in your mouth.

One person stated Abbott Lab's technical department no. is 800-441-4987,
option #1 on voice mail.

One person stated the 500 mg. dosage is starch-free, so it should be
okay.  (This info. I also got from my doctor).

Several people stated Biaxin is good stuff and really knocked the
infection out of them.  "Don't wait to take it."

One person stated she got a yeast infection after taking Biaxin as it
killed the good bacteria too.

I, Lisa, who originally questioned its GF status, have taken it without
any celiac-type effects.  I do take it with food to avoid any stomach
problems, and make sure I get a little yogurt each day to restore the
good bacteria my system needs.  So far things are going well.   Again,
thanks.

Happy cold and flu season to all!