From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 12:46:10 -0700
Enabling DMA = Direct Memory Access is specialized circuitry or a dedicated
microprocessor that transfers data from memory to memory without using the
CPU. Although DMA may periodically steal cycles from the CPU, data is
transferred much faster than using the CPU for every byte of transfer. BUT
and this is a very big but...Enabling DMA for your CD ROM drives is
problematic and tends to make you system unstable. You will not find one CD
ROM manufacturer that recommends it.

>Hi.  I just ran a diagnostic  called Isoft Sandra which recommended I
>enable DMA for better performance.I attempted to do this & got a
>dialogue box ".....changing this setting may have undesirable effects
>with your hardware....."
>Comments??       w98. i430vx chipset "generic" mobo.166mmx
>Laurence Mckenna

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html