From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 23:45:59 -0400
Adele,

NO DIAL TONE is usually caused by one of three problems.
#1 No dial tone -- plug in a phone and check the circuit.
#2 Bad cable from the wall to the modem. -- try a new cable.
#3 Bad modem.  -- try a different modem.

A variation of #2 is a plug not fully seated into the socket especially on
the modem side of the wire.  Sometimes the socket is not fully visible
through the "slot" in the back of the computer case.  Unplug the cord from
the modem and then push in the plug and wiggle it up/down, back/forth
GENTLY --- listen for that faint "click" when it locks in place.

Jim Meagher
=====
Micro Solutions Consulting        Member of The HTML Writers Guild
http://www.ezy.net/~microsol     International Webmasters Association
410-543-8996                MS Site Builder Network - Level 2 member
=====