From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 10:05:38 -0600
At 04:32 PM 8/19/99 , Doreen D Augherton wrote:
>  I have a Tech-Built system.--AMD.K6.. -8 gigs - 64 Ram - Using a Canon
>BJC-610 printer.  I have Win-95 upgraded.  I use primarily Netscape but
>I also have IE.
>I am getting CMOS checksum errors - I/O port 378.
>Techie says I have two printer ports, one "on the board" and another he
>put in to make my printer work with this CPU back in 1997.  Now I am
>wondering why after many months of things being ok what might be causing
>the problem.
>The OnBoard Parallel Port keeps resetting itself to:  "378/IRQ7" and I
>must keep changing it to "Disable" in CMOS when I start up.
>  A while ago I  downloaded InternetExplorer 4.01 which caused a Win-95
>upgrade and I also had to upgrade the printer files from Canon's site.
>At this point I am wondering what in the system that would cause this
>"CMOS-Checksum" error problem that seems to appear the next time I boot
>up after I have used the printer.
>Any Suggestions?

The simple answer is to change the I/O address in your CMOS on the LPT1
port to something other than 378.  If this is not possible in your CMOS or it
will not stay changed, sometimes Windows will reset a CMOS setting for
I/O ports such as LPT1, (printer ports are LPT1, LPT2, LPT3... ).

In this case, it is easier to open the computer and remove the secondary LPT
printer port card.  Then move the jumper on the card from I/O 378 to a non
conflicting address.  I recommend removing the card, starting Windows and
in Device Manager determining which I/O addresses are available the correspond
with addresses on the LPT printer port card.  Then setting the jumper on the
card to an empty I/O address and LPT2.  Turn off the computer and install
the card.  When Windows95/98/NT restarts it will find the card and set it up
with the new configuration that does not conflict.

I hope this helps.

                 Bob Wright
        The NOSPIN Group, Inc
http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org