From:
"Kurr, Martin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 12:49:58 -0500
Two floppy drive failure questions:

1) A "PC100" motherboard with integrated sound and ATI 8MB AGP video gives
the evil retry or cancel box when A: is accessed (PII-333, 64MB DIMM).
Removed all other components and same thing.  Bootup shows floppy failure
(40) when bootup floppy seek is enabled.  Client thought mobo was DOA and
got replacement (I had him do the secret mark trick to ensure it wasn't the
same mobo).  Win95 or Win98 or different hard drives show same results.  I
would never recommend this mobo, but the client is shy to spend more money
for a real mobo, plus video and sound components.  I checked the floppy
drive in another system and it works fine.  Any suggestions?
2) 486 (who-knows-who-made-it) mobo with DX/80 and 16MB 72 pin SIMM had
floppy working.  Got transported and now it won't access (same as #1 above).
Tested floppy, tried different floppies, checked cables and cards, messed
with BIOS...same problem.  Any suggestions?  Win95B, device mgr. looks good.
Boot up gives '(40) and win give retry or cancel.

Is there a way to test the floppy controller on the board?  I'm stumped!
Further info available.
Martin Kurr
email [log in to unmask]

                     visit our download web page at: