From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 11:21:21 -0400
On Tue, 21 Sep 1999, Richard Keene wrote:

> We (Paleo Eaters) are trying to avoid two things, allergies to foods,
> and hyperinsulinism.

If by "allergies" you mean the whole gamut of food intolerances
and not just those that cause a histamine response, then I agree.

> I see a lot of argument on this alias about specific foods, lately
> tomatoes.  Such "odd ball" foods that don't easily fit a broader
> classification and do not have good general population data
> must be tested on an individual basis.  Try a few weeks without
> them, then try a few weeks with them.  How does it feel?

This is certainly a good enough rule for a first approximation,
but it leaves a large class of people, like myself, who have few
overt reactions to any food.

> Another good analytical approach is just ask yourself the question,
> "Do you know anyone who is allergic to ........ or have heard
>  some stories about being allergic to it?"

I'm not quite sure whether someone else's allergy or intolerance
is relevant to my situation.

> E.g.
> Beef - I have never met anyone who is allergic to beef.
>    there must be someone but it is very uncommon.

Some psoriasis sufferers report that beef worsens their
condition; it doesn't seem to affect mine.

> Peanuts - Yup, my daughter is deathly allergic to them as
>   is my sister and ......

Lots of people are allergic to peanuts, but most people aren't.

> Nuts - Yup, lots of people.  This is a tough one.  Are nuts really
> Paleo?

If they're not, then something is seriously wrong with the
principles of the diet, because I can think of absolutely no
reason to suppose that paleolithic people didn't eat them, and I
believe there is positive evidence that they did (e.g., hazelnut
shells, etc.  I'm sure I have an article on this somewhere in my
archives).

>    In fact some of the "nuts" are beans and there are definitely
>    problems there.  To me beans are semi-Paleo for the same reason
>    nuts are.  There a native american food.  Then again, so is corn.

Many species of nuts are native to Europe, Asia, and Africa.

> Fish - Some people are alergic, but seems to have some very good
> properties too.

Lots of people are allergic to seafood -- oysters, clams, etc. --
but most people aren't.  That's one of those allergies that can
be quite severe, too.

And let's not forget strawberries, which are lethal for some
people.  There are also many who do not tolerate citrus fruits
very well.

> OK, so how does one decide?  My approach is to follow the Paleo
> guidelines, then after getting a realy "clean" diet, experiment.

What do you mean by "clean"?

Todd Moody